AIDA International banner

Go Back   AIDA International > Freediving In General > General Freediving

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2007

Jorg is on a distinguished road
Default RSS Feed AIDA Forum

I can't find the RSS feed for this forum. Is it turned off? Standard in vbulletin it's turned on.
Old 3rd December 2007
Gold Member

Jonas Andersson is on a distinguished road

Hi Jorg, its turned off but it will be turned on in a near future.

/J
Old 7th December 2007
Platinum Member

trux is on a distinguished road

OK, so now there is the RSS for both AIDA website and AIDA forum available.

Well, although I do not understand why the RSS was disabled as well here as on some other vBulletin freediving forums, even when it is on, it is not quite perfect, since it shows only newly created threads and ignores new posts to older threads, which may be often quite useful. I suppose it can be configured in the Admin interface of vBulletin, but most sites wither do not have RSS at all, or have it in the default mode with new threads shown only.

For this reason I wrote a parser that is able to read the both most common forums - phpBB and vBulletin, of different versions and different language localizations. It then converts the new posts into RSS. I've added several phpBB forums to my global RSS feed, and just completed the testing of the vBulletin import and added this forum too.

So if you want to add the forum of AIDA International to your RSS reader, simply go to the home page of http://apnea.cz, in the bottom news box (Freediving Forum News), enter aida-fm, click the OK button and then click the orange RSS icon to subscribe to that filtered RSS feed. And if you want to get news for some other national AIDA's forums, enter just aida instead of aida-fm into the search box. You can also subscribe to all the forums, or just to English ones (select English in the drop-down box). In the upper News box, there are news from news pages on diverse freediving websites, including AIDA International and several AIDA national sites. Also there, you can create you own feed by entering keywords and/or selecting the language.

There is now almost 90 sources in the global freediving RSS channel, but I am adding permanently new ones. Now, when I have the parse for both phpBB and vBulletin, I'll be adding several more freediving (but not spearfishing) forums. Spearfishing, scuba, or other irrelevant messages are being automatically filtered out. I want to keep APNEA.cz strictly for freediving only.
Old 1st May 2009
Platinum Member

The native RSS support was now enabled directly in the AIDA forum. It may still need some tweaking, but basically it should work both on the global forum, as well as on individual subforums. If there is a need for some special feeds, like for example based on some keywords, please post here. If it is in public interest, I think it can be added.
Old 2nd May 2009
Platinum Member

BTW, the default RSS feeds appearing in the browser menu are rather useless, because they only show RSS items for new threads, and hence there will be no RSS news for new posts in old threads. To bypass this, you can use the following RSS URL:

http://www.aida-international.org/fo...true&type=rss2

You can also specify a subforum, if you want to limit the feed to one section of the forum only:
http://www.aida-international.org/fo...2&forumsids=16

I'll try to find out whether these URL's can be included in the header instead of the defaults ones.
You can use these RSS URL's for example for including news from the AIDA forum on your blog or website - most of the blog or content managment software offers the possibility to import RSS feeds easily.

Last edited by trux; 2nd May 2009 at 06:26.
Old 2nd May 2009
Platinum Member

Also, please note, that the RSS feeds will only contain posts from public forums. Hence discussions in subforums reserved for national AIDA members (such as the entire AIDA General subforum), or for instructors or judges, won't appear in the RSS feed even if you are a valid member of those groups.
Old 2nd May 2009

Jorg is on a distinguished road

maybe you can use this: http://freemyfeed.com/
Old 2nd May 2009
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
maybe you can use this: http://freemyfeed.com/
Do you mean using it for the hidden subforums? I think that won't be possible anyway with the out-of-the-box vBulletin, and it might serve to disclosure of information not being planned to be public. I am not sure though, I did not check it out. If you did, and found it worked to reveal the hidden posts, it may be indeed of some interest for personal use, but I hope that people understand that they should not embed such feed into any public blogs or websites.

Last edited by trux; 2nd May 2009 at 12:04.
Old 16th September 2009
dep953er

Exclamation luxerybaidugood28

zewrpaighawhurknur

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: